Friday, September 5, 2014

The "Can I Make a Living Doing What I Love?" Experiment (#6: A Quick Look at Month One)

by Pam Victor

[The "Can I Make a Living Doing What I Love?" Experiment is my one-year challenge to make a living through creative pursuits. Read all the updates here.]

Month One of the experiment is in the can, and I'm feeling cautiously optimistic. Though I fell $87 short of my one month goal for income, it's the first month and I'll give myself a break. If I don't get swallowed by a sink hole or something like that, I have eleven months to make it up.

The most interesting part of the past month has been how incredibly busy I've been. I mean, yeah, we're all so fucking busy, right? I'm not immune to the Great Busy Epidemic of the 21st Century. But last month had a different quality of busy. Previously at the end of most days, I would feel discouraged that, even though I had been completely occupied with various work-related endeavors, like writing the book, promoting my comedy show, and stuff like that, I didn't feel like I really accomplished anything. But last month, I felt a little differently like that at the end of the day. Well, most days. Somehow my work has felt more tangible and satisfying. I'm not completely sure why. (If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.)

Here are some of my Experiment-related accomplishments over the last month:
  • Finished teaching a week-long improv camp for teens.
  • Organized a six-week improv class for adults. (It's full and starts next week.)
  • Performed SIX paid improv gigs! (Holy fuck! Thank you, oh Exalted Goddess of Improvisation.)
  • Taught an improv workshop for adults.
  • Founded a new improv troupe and booked two paid gigs for later this fall. (If it's successful, hopefully there will be more to come.)
  • Got an 11-week job teaching two classes (reading and writing) each week to elementary-aged homeschoolers.
I've also started doing research into freelance corporate writing, but I haven't made much actual progress in that area merely due to a lack of time. By week three of the Experiment, I had decided to continue to ride the wave of the stuff I already started for a while before getting more gigs going. 

So I gotta go now and write lesson plans for the improv class that starts next week. It's called The Zen of Improv, and I'm really psyched about it. But before I go, I sort of feel like I should apologize because this installment wasn't that all that funny or particularly titillating. To make it up to you, here are a few super sexy photos:

TJ and Dave

Susan Messing with Scott Adsit

Michael Franti


There is a possibility that my sexy is different than your sexy. My bad. Next time, I'll look for more photos of boobs and man junk. Or chocolate? Or people doing downward dog, or...oh, just let me know what you think is sexy and I promise to put it in my next post. 

(Unless it's super fucked up 'n shit.)


*
* * *

Pam Victor is the founding member of The Ha-Ha’s, and she produces The Happier Valley Comedy Show in western Massachusetts. Pam performs a "Geeking Out with: The TALK SHOW," a live version of the written Geeking Out with... interview series, at comedy festivals throughout the land. Pam writes mostly humorous, mostly true essays and reviews of books, movies, and tea on her blog, "My Nephew is a Poodle." Currently, Pam is co-writing "Improvisation at the Speed of Life: The TJ and Dave Book" with TJ Jagodowski and David Pasquesi. If you want to stay abreast (yes, I said breast) of all her nonsense, go to www.pamvictor.com

No comments:

Post a Comment